Heinrich Böll Foundation awards some scholarships to international students who gained their university entrance qualification from a school outside of Germany who wish to study a Masters or PhD Degree in Germany.Heinrich Böll Foundation grants scholarships to approximately 1,000 undergraduates, graduates, and doctoral students of all subjects and nationalities per year, who are pursuing their degree at universities, universities of applied sciences (‘Fachhochschulen’), or universities of the arts (‘Kunsthochschulen’) in Germany
- 1st March 2018 (Summer)
- 1st September 2018 (Winter)
Institution of study: State or state-recognized Universities in Germany
Scholarship Sponsor: The Heinrich Böll Foundation, Germany
Place of Study: Germany
Level of study: Masters Degree or PhD Degree in all subjects offered at state or state-recognised universities in Germany
For EU students, Master’s Degree courses at state or state-recognised universities in Germany, Switzerland, and other EU member states are possible.
Non-EU students: €850 per month plus various individual allowances; tuition fees are in certain cases possible in Germany.
EU students: varies, max. €649 plus €300 book money per month; tuition fees not possible in Germany but possible to a limited extent in other countries.
The scholarship is awarded for the regular period of study, may be extended by one semester.
Non-EU students: €1000 per month plus €100 mobility allowance per month, plus various individual allowances; tuition fees are not possible.
EU students: €1350 per month basic scholarship plus €100 per month research costs allowance; tuition fees are not possible in Germany but possible to a limited extent in other countries.
The scholarship is awarded for two years as a rule, may be extended twice at most by half a year.
Study Subject: Any subject area is applicable
Type of Award: Depending on programme, It may be fully or partially funded
International Master students who earned their university entrance qualification outside Germany:
• You may apply before commencing your Masters programme or at any time up to the end of the first semester of the Masters programme.
• Applicants must have completed a first degree. Proof of first professional qualification must be provided
International Doctoral students who earned the university entrance qualification outside Germany:
• The applicant must have been accepted as a doctoral student by a state or state-recognised university in Germany. Proof of admission, as a rule in Germany, must be included with the application.
• By the application date, preliminary work must have been completed and a valid timetable for completion must be submitted.
• PhD subjects related to focal points of the Foundation’s activities will be given priority.
The following general requirements apply to international student applicants (except EU citizens) who wish to study in Germany:
- You must be enrolled at a state-recognized university or college (e.g. Fachhochschule) in Germany at the time the scholarship payments begin.
- You should provide proof that you have already graduated with an initial professional qualification. This programme mainly supports students aiming for a Masters degree.
- You need a good knowledge of German, and require you provide proof of your proficiency. Please note that the selection workshop (interviews, group discussions) will normally be in German. Exceptions (interview in English) are, however, possible.
- Unfortunately, the current guidelines specify that the foundation cannot support foreign scholarship holders for stays abroad in third countries for more than four weeks.
- You should definitely apply for a scholarship before the start of your studies, in order to ensure long-term support and cooperation.
- The Heinrich Böll Foundation cannot award you a scholarship, if you are studying for a one-year Masters degree and were not previously supported by the foundation.
- Applications are possible before you begin your study programme or within the first three semesters.
- Applicants must provide proof that they have been accepted as a doctoral student by an institution of higher education in Germany or an EU country (for doctoral scholarship).
How to Appy:
For details of application requirements and procedures, please consult information sheet A 1-1 (“scholarship application for undergraduate and graduate students”, PDF) or A 2-1 (“scholarship application for doctoral studies”). The online application portal closes on 1 March at the latest.
Official Scholarship Website: https://www.boell.de/en/scholarships-application
For more Scholarships, click here